11.13.2012

Very cool Mac trick

So with my iMac and Magic Mouse I can do a two finger swiper on the desktop from left to right and open up Dashboard. I've had two things there that I've really enjoyed - weather radar and a map of the earth showing where the sun is shining and where it's night - the grey line map as it is called. Apparently, it's related to Ham radio tech. Very cool.

 Well these two widgets both broke and then I stumbled upon this link about rolling your own widgets for Mac. I decided to see if it worked on Mountain Lion and it turns out it does, but the technique is slightly different.

For example, I went to weather radar page that had my local radar and then somewhere on the page, I right clicked (or option click if you're so inclined) and brought up the context menu.  There's an option called 'Open in Dashboard...' - you will want to click that.  And then you click on the thing you want to add, in my cases this was the animated radar loop, and then click 'Add' in the bar at the top of the screen.  That's it.  Instant widget.

Earth View
Wunderground Radar Maps

1 comment:

  1. You and your fancy new-fangled computing devices.

    IsitDecemberyet??

    ReplyDelete