6.28.2013

Playing with P Mode

So I dabble in photography. I have a pretty nice dSLR and an extremely solid point and shoot along with my iPhone which can be handy and take a surprisingly good picture in a pinch.



Anyway, my brother recently acquired the same dSLR that I have - the Nikon D5100. Love this camera. Great sensor. Lightweight. Lots of capabilities.

I wanted to pass on some tips so he could leverage the power of the camera. Don't get me wrong, you can phenomenal pics using automatic, but if you want to create depth of field, leverage lighting and produce great results, then you'll want to know how to tweak things.

Found a great link on Ken Rockwell's site regarding playing with Manual mode but in it he mentioned P Mode which I always thought meant Programming, i.e. you can pre-set some settings. But I wanted to learn the settings myself. I can remember having a certain film speed and needing to know the aperture and shutter speed. Anyway, I could not have been more wrong. The P stands for 'Programmed Auto.' The system generates a bunch of pre-sets depending on environment. Want a blurry background? Turn the wheel to the right. Want a deeper depth of field? Turn the wheel left.

I decide to give this a whirl with my Canon DS780 IS. It has a P Mode so I wanted to explore it.  You wind up with 3 basic settings you can toggle between: macro, portrait and infinity.  I decided to do a day in the life using this feature.

I started with a baseball on my coffee table.

Baseball

The detail is incredible. Grain of the leather. The threads in the seam.

Heading to the office I got some nice shots including this one of the Comcast Center.

Comcast Center

I haven't retouched any of the photos. These are as the sensor grabbed them.

At work we had a challenge between a PayDay candy bar and a Pearson's Peanut Butter flavored Salted Nut roll.

Payday versus Pearson's Peanut Butter Salted Nut Roll

The salted nut roll won.

And yes, I have a pixel ruler, do you not?

Pixel Ruler

Finally, a pic of Umbrella Man (actually Allow Me by John Seward Johnson II.)

Umbrella Man

It was a lot of fun. Can't wait to explore more.

No comments:

Post a Comment