6.12.2017

JQL Group By

So part of my gig is playing with JIRA.  And if you want to query you can use JQL to perform queries.  Sounds promising except JQL really isn't that powerful at all.  It's almost a misnomer to call it a 'Query Language' in my book.  More of a 'Query Tool.'

A 'Language' would imply that a user can do functions on the data and you really cannot do that unless you want to pay for a plugin.  I don't.

My issue was that I want to see which open items each member of the team has at a particular point in time.  Sounds straightforward except that there's no Group By or Count function available natively.

So what I did was add a 'Favorite Filters' widget on my home screen and then created filters for each team member.  The real bonus was it shows the number of Unresolved Issues.  The only real trick was filtering out things like Stories and Epics which don't need to be tracked.

No comments:

Post a Comment