1.03.2013

I need a better post

The last one sucked.

I got an Arduino for my eldest daughter (*cough* me *cough*) and I think she's really into it - although we haven't played with it yet. I'm going to combine it with her laptop so she feels more empowered. She can then build and do stuff via her computer. If she digs it and her mom let's it happen, maybe she can take it home and play on her own. That would be cool, but I can imagine electronics only holds so much interest.
I just wish they had these when I was a kid. Holy crap, they're awesome. C! On a micro controller! With a bunch of extensions/shields available!  And they're moderately cheap?!  I think about my dad and how we would have had a killer robot with this kind of stuff. Shit we would have built a beer dispensing fridge that would launch a beer when you yelled 'Hut!'
So maybe a little girl wants to build a lamp that goes on and off when you hold your hand near it. Built out of Legos. I mean, why not?
Anyway, I want them to get the connection between science and the world around us. Math can explain anything and anything explained by math can be an algorithm. We can have fun with these ideas as our guiding principles.

No comments:

Post a Comment