9.14.2012

Playing with Watir and Watir-WebDriver

It's been a dream of mine for a while to set up a comprehensive testing solution for the product I work on at work.  After yesterday, I feel like I may be on track for that dream.  

Been playing with Watir (Web Application Testing in Ruby) for a while now but hit bumps repeatedly with frames and getting access to page content.  You see, Watir facilitates writing scripts which can use a browser to access web page and do stuff with it.  Pretty slick - when it works.  But if you can't access certain content then you're SOL.  

When I picked this up again, I saw there was Watir-WebDriver out there.  It basically facilitates using selenium like code in testing.  It seems like it has better support for accessing objects in web pages which is just what I needed.  

Anywho, I picked it up and was able to clear a couple of hurdles fairly quickly which ultimately is how you judge any software you're working with.  Pretty happy with the results.  I want to bang out a handful of more tests and then possibly explore adding page objects to get things a little more abstracted and, hopefully, simplified.  

Should be fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment