10.11.2012

The walk

It's been almost a year since I moved into the city.  While the change has been awesome in terms of a more interesting environment, being in my own space and introducing my daughters to an experience they would not otherwise get, there is one area that I'm starting to get excited about. 

Last night it kind of hit me as I was thinking about how to organize my schedule so as to get more exercise into my routine to get a little healthier.  Then it suddenly hit me - I'm doing this by walking to the office.  It's a half mile walk each way.  It's about the right distance/time.  And if I walk in every day I should get good results. 

Currently I don't walk over to the office every day because some of the meetings I do involve video and I would rather be at home without people talking all around me (*glares at the interns*) plus it's difficult getting into a routine when you've spent years doing something else.  Besides, my chair at home is more comfortable. 

Yet lately I've noticed that the little walk which was killing my back last year - to the point I had to stop 2 or 3 times due to back pain (my 30# bag sure didn't help things) is now getting almost easier.  Not sweating as much (thanks to a low dew point, I'm sure) and my back isn't killing me when I get to the office. 

Now I'm thinking ahead to the Concept 2 Holiday Challenge. I'm going to need to get a new monitor for my erg. I don't know that I'm anywhere near where I need to be to complete the challenge.  I've been in better shape in the past and had trouble completing it.  But I would love to get back to where I was pre-divorce in terms of cardio fitness.  Rowing 200 kilometers in a month would go a long way to help that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment